What to Wear for Beautiful Portraits
- Keep it simple. Solid colors are best in portraits. Avoid large, bold patterns and bright colors that draw attention away from your face.
- Cover up arms. Long sleeves draw attention away from your arms and helps bring the focus to your face.
- Don't forget the bottom half. Our photographer may suggest a full-length pose. Make sure you coordinate portrait clothing from head to toe.
- Accentuate the positive in portraits. Darker clothing slims. Light tones tend to emphasize body size.
- Frame your face. Scoops or v-necks flatter shorter necks and full faces. Turtlenecks or high-necked garments flatter longer necks and slender faces.
- Keep clothing consistent. Dress everyone in the same style. Don't mix casual and formal clothing in portraits.
- Wear light on white. Light pastel or white clothing looks best against a light-colored or white portrait background.
- Wear dark on dark. Dark clothing looks best against darker backgrounds and creates a more formal mood in portraits.
- Don't mix light and dark colors in portraits. Save stronger colors and patterns for accent items like scarves and neckties.
Pick Portrait Studio Props and Backdrops
- Ask for advice. If you're not sure what you want in your portrait, our photographers can help you choose a portrait background that suits your needs.
- Add your personality. For a personal touch, bring a favorite toy or your own props to a portrait session. View additional ideas under our Personalized Portraits page.